четверг, 11 декабря 2014 г.

«British Superstitions» 

Objectives: to practice the use of active vocabulary discussing the truth behind superstitions, to develop reading, speaking and listening skills, to encourage pupils to work in pairs, to get students acquainted with the examples of the British culture.
Materials:  vocabulary handouts, multimedia screen, British and Ukrainian symbols flashcards, songsheets.

PROCEDURE
I.                  Introduction
T. Good morning! Look at the board and try to put the words in order to get proverbs
1.many so customs So countries many.
2. Rome in  you Romans as do When are the.
Find the Ukrainian equivalents. You know every country has its own customs and traditions. You've already learnt some of them.
II.               Warming up
T. Let’s remember the symbols of Great Britain and Ukraine. (Учитель демонструє зображення символів країн, учні утворюють речення про Україну та Британію)  Make up sentences about these countries.
P1 It’s a daffodil. It’s a symbol of Wales
P2 It’s a kilt. It’s a skirt with tartan pattern worn by the Scottish men.
P3 It’s an embroidered towel. Ukrainian women are fond of embroidering.
III. Main part of the lesson
Today we’ll come to know new facts about British customs. Superstitions are beliefs  that some objects or actions are lucky or unlucky.
Pre-reading activity
Introducing new vocabulary:
A good sign, superstitious, to spill, a soul, a leap year, spirits, a ladder, a leap year
 Look at the pictures. Which of these do you think means good/bad luck for the British? Let’s check up you predictions while watching a presentation.
Post-reading activity



Complete the table
Good luck
Bad luck
Four leaf clover
Spilled salt



Vocabulary practice
Match  the words in the two columns. Use them to talk about British superstitions
1.     carry
2.     break
3.     spill
4.     catch
5.     hang
6.     walk
7.     knock
8.     open
9.     cross
a     a mirror
b     your fingers
c      an umbrella indoors
d      salt
e      under a ladder
f      falling leaf
g      horseshoe
h      on wood
    a rabbit’s foot     


Pair work
Listen to the song and fill in the past forms of the verbs to hang, to see, to catch, to find, to fell

Lucky or not?
When I was walking yesterday
A leaf 1)____ from a tree
I 2)_____it in my hand  and smiled
That means good luck to me
Chorus
Every day’s my lucky day
Good luck comes easily
I wake up every day and I know
I’m lucky to be me
My day was going very well
But my good luck wasn’t  over
As I was walking through the park
I 3)____ a four leaf clover
Chorus
While I was walking home I 4)______
A hoseshoe on the ground
I 5)_____ it up above my door
For good luck all year round

Production
T. Do you think there is truth behind British superstitions? Which superstitions are the same in  Ukraine? Which superstitions do you believe in?
IV. Summarising
 I’d like to thank you for your work at the lesson. Let’s  sum up. I see that some of you are really superstitious. You may observe many of these superstitious beliefs, but do not  let them govern your life.
Home assignment

Collect information. Then write a short article on Ukrainian superstitions for an international school magazine.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий